Monday, March 24, 2008

School update

Originally Posted on 09/19/07 on a former blog of mine:

So, I am almost done with 100 speed. I mean, I have a Lit that has to be graded still; but they just returned it to the instructors last night. So within the week, I will know if I got it. I had 26 errors; but one is questionable; so that might bring me down to 25 errors, right at the MAE (Maximum Allowable Errors) -- in other words, yes, court reporters make mistakes too, it's just how you edit your transcript, lol.
Anyhow, so with this being said. I have an ENTIRE book of homework to do. And NO -- I hate doing homework at home. Because I don't have an electric machine nor the software -- it's more tedious and time consuming. It may take me a whole hour to complete 1 lesson of 14-16 exercises -- yet another 3-4 hours analyzing the notes to ensure accuracy and meeting the MAE rate for that particular lesson. So, now my goal is to get another grant to cover the expense of purchasing an electric machine and software -- which will run together, roughly $6-7K. YIKES!
But I had a melt-down at school because I just got off of a late summer break, and I had every intention of doing homework at home -- but just didn't get to it -- either I had orders to fulfill or the kids had this and that going on. So, I'm not where I need to be as far as the homework is concerned. I was trying to learn from other student's mistakes, as to not pass all the tests and yet be held back by the homework load.
But I just got into this speed 2 weeks ago!! How insane is that? I mean, it takes me 3 months to just 3 lousy tests to pass speed 80 and move on to 100. But I will take into account that it was summer time and the kids were not in school -- therefore -- my time was basically consumed from sunrise to sunfall. And writing on this 20 year old manual machine is so depressing.
There are times where I just want to stand in the lobby at school and drop it down to the ground floor -- or throw it out the window as I'm driving down Beach Blvd -- but that would be considered littering -- not to mention property damage to other passing VAOEKZ (vehicles).
So, I am now in the homework phase of this class. Everyone jokes that it takes them more time to do the homework than to write the 500 hundred word test in 5 minutes; 3 times just to move on to the next class. And my fellow classmates have ensured me that when I do get pass the homework phase; and move on to the next class; the homeworks are as bad and long as this class. This is the worst class when it comes to the homework. So with that said, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
So, now that I'm almost a 120 student -- that means that I still have to add on another 125 words a minute before I can graduate.
Can I write it?Yes I can!(think -- Bob the Builder! LMAO!)
Monster was talking to us last night about a psycho therapy exercise that we need to exercise everyday at least once a day -- but me, being me, I'mma do it multiple times a day. And the exercise is as follows:
Look in the mirror.Smile your biggest smile.And tell yourself OUT LOUD:
I can write over 100 WPM for 5 minute tests with no drops.
My notes are so clean, transcription is a breeze.
My [x amount of] hours of practice each week have really paid off.
And this exercise is to basically psych myself to not have test anxiety. Which, believe it or not, Ritz has. And Ritz has it BIG TIME!
Now, if Monster would just read to us for 5 minutes and after he's done, say, "Ok, folks. That was just a 100 LIT/JC/QA TEST -- turn it in if you must -- if not -- you know the drill." Then it would be POC [piece of cake]. Otherwise, I just get jello fingers and don't really know what my fingers are doing other than moving around on my machine, like they know what they are doing.
Wait, they do know what they are doing, otherwise, how would I have passed my 100 JC and Q&A? **shoulder shrug**
anyhow, that's my education woes for the week.
Muah!~

No comments: